Biochemical Engineering (F47)
This online course is designed to provide an intensive overview of the antibody therapeutics field, enabling you to:
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of the historical aspects, current research and future direction of the development of antibodies as
- Provide an overview on key aspects including antibody structure,function, diversity, antibody fragments and Antibody Drug Conjugates
- Gain insights to some of the issues that are required to develop antibodies from the bench to the clinic/market and raises issues with regard to manufacture, intellectual property and regulatory aspects.
- Effectively engage in cross-disciplinary collaborations with other professionals on how to formulate a strategy to design, develop and apply industry regulations and best practice to ensure quality and success.
Self-paced learning through a series of interactive audio presentations and animated videos. From the date of enrolment, delegates can access online materials for up to 9 months allowing for flexible study.
This module focuses on product purification and, through a series of lectures and case studies will enable you to:
- Understand the principles of different methods of process chromatography, including Packed Bed, Monoliths, Expanded Bed.
- Select the appropriate media for, and predict the performance of, chromatography separations upon scale-up.
- Assess the suitability of affinity separation as a product purification operation and gain awareness of advances in rational ligand design for difficult separations.
- Determine appropriate strategies for the maintenance of column and process hygiene.
- Consider how chromatography is changing at industrial scale, and which new technologies will have an impact in the future.
Understand the principles of all the major recovery operations: Centrifugation, Membrane Systems, Filtration, Cell Disruption, Precipitation, Flocculation. This module focuses on the biological product recovery stage and, through a series of lectures and case studies will enable you to:
- Compare these unit operations for suitability within the process and study them in our unique pilot plant
- Determine the most appropriate equipment for separations and specify the right operating conditions
- Learn to use Ultra Scale Down tool for prediction of large scale separation performance
- Understand the interaction among fermentation, recovery and purification and learn the integrated solutions for bioprocess development
This module will strengthen your knowledge of fermentation processes and through a series of lectures and case studies will enable you to:
- Define different modes of fermentation and know their limitations.
- Develop a suitable medium and perform a material balance.
- Interpret fermentation data and use it effectively.
- Characterise the kinetics of cell growth and how they apply to different cell systems.
- Determine fermentation productivity and yields.
- Learn about new developments in fermentation technology (single use bioreactors)
- Develop a strategy for fermentation process development.
This module focuses on the design and specification of bioreactors and the application of microscale techniques for rapid fermentation process development and scale-up. A series of comprehensive lectures and case studies will enable you to:
- Understand engineering principles of fermentation.
- Determine power consumption and oxygen mass transfer.
- Evaluate different strategies for scale-up and scale-down.
- Know about miniaturised bioreactors and their role in fermentation process development.
- Understand how to design a bioreactor and use data from microscale experiments for scaleup.
One-day colloquium is designed to help researchers with the daily challenges encountered when culturing human pluripotent stem cells. We will present tips and tricks which will help to successfully culture iPSc and embryonic stem cell lines.
We will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the culture of pluripotent stem cells
- Co-culture with feeders
- Feeder free culture
- Passaging using different techniques
- Differentiations of pluripotent stem cells
- Characteristic staining patterns of undifferentiated and differentiated stem cells
- Culture adaptation and abnormal culture
- Infection during culturing
VISION addresses critical drivers facing the sector, which create unique strategic challenges, including IP, portfolio management, integrating new technologies, adapting to regulatory requirements, managing risks and speed to market.
Designed for high-impact individuals, VISION provides key leadership insights tailored for present and future leaders in the bioindustry. This is achieved through rigorous intellectual analysis and practical peer-to-peer action based learning, which provides the required tools to drive innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership in organisations.